What I'm Listening To...

Old School Throwback Friday: Bay Area Chapter Choir

When you think of Edwin Hawkins, a few things come to mind: Oh Happy Day, The Edwin Hawkins Singers, and his Music and Arts Seminars, just to name a few. For me, his Music and Arts Seminar albums are a favorite of mine. There's one album in particular that I still play to this day which is Hold On, the album he produced for The Bay Area Chapter Choir of the Music and Arts Seminar in 1987 on Birthright Records. That album included a host of gems and well-rounded musicians such as Joel Smith, Tim Riley, and Lawrence Matthews to name a few. Of the songs featured, there were only two that prevailed as classics that have withstood the test of time to me, if you want to call twenty years a test of time...lol.

The first song, which just happens to be the first track off the album, He's Alright, was and still is a song that's sung in just about every church to this day. The song was resurrected briefly in a tribute to oldies but goodies gospel songs on Joe Pace & The Colorado Mass Choir's Praise 'Til You Breakthrough in 2006. Mistakenly called, Jesus Is Alright or He's Alright With Me, the song showcases how Edwin Hawkins could not only write songs that were meaningful with complex lyrics and music, but also write a song that's so simple yet catchy.

The other song that's a classic is, Vindicate Me led by Lawrence Matthews (there is another soloist whom I don't know their name, but because I purchased the album on cassette, information that would show on an album on vinyl is lacking on the cassette. The song's lyrics ask that we be cleared and delivered from our wrongs. ). This song is the reason why I purchased this album a few years ago. Still a radio favorite on KTSU's airwaves in Houston (this song is played nearly every Sunday, and has been since the song was released...lol), hopefully if you don't remember or have never heard of these songs before, they'll be a favorite of yours too.





What's To Come Next Week: James Moore, John P. Kee, and more.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vindicate Me is one of my all time favorite gospel songs. I went to college with a guy who was part of this choir, and he let me hear it back in the day. I've since lost the tape I had it on, so finding this site with the song means alot. I've wondered where I could find this song for almost 20 years, and now I have it again. So thank you.

Lilmama said...

Hi and thanks for writing. Vindicate Me is one of my favorites too. For some reason this album is a hard one to come across, but if you ever find it, you'll be blessed by every song on there.

rwj4life said...

Oh my GOD this has been one of my favorite songs since i was 7 years old when it first came out, i didnt really understand the words back then but it brought tears to my eyes and even more so now that I REALLY understand what the words truly mean!!! I never knew who sang it but I'll be searching vigorously for this now!!!

Anonymous said...

Can we download "Vindicate Me" from this web page? I've tried, unsuccessfully thus far, to locate a place where I can purchase the album or tape.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for providing this very important track!!

So So powerful and true.

DDK from Htown

Afro Seminarian said...

Thank you for posting this song, I grew up listening to it and it is a classic. Love it.
God BLess you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

VIndicate Me is my favorite Gospel Song! I was so excited to find this site, but the file will no longer play! Can you PLEASE bring it back? Or direct me to where I can find it?

Thanks for the great job on the site!

Anonymous said...

oh my GOD I have been searching high and low for this song. couldn't find it anywhere
thank you thank you thank you

Afro Seminarian said...

Whats going on with your site? You have some wondeful music on here!!!
I know you are busy, but please, this site is too important for it to be ignored.

Keep up the good work!!!!
R

Anonymous said...

Take me back, take me back Dear Lord - OMG, thanks Lilmama! Tears are just rolling down my face right now. Not only having I been searching for this song for over 20 yrs. (just like Anonymous 1), but you posted this on my Birthday and it's almost a year later! Only God can only know what it means to hear this song today bc there is not enough room to express how much this song ministered to me when I first heard it and yes, I had the cassette and EVERY song is fire! This REALLY makes me want to find the entire album! OK, thanks Holy Spirit for leading me to Keisha's blog tonight - selah!

Anonymous said...

Lord have mercy...I have been looking for this song for the last 17 years. I dubbed it off a KTSU, a Houston Gospel Radio Station back in the early 90's and my cassette got ate up in my car because I played it so much...rewind, forward, rewind, forward...I am thankful to have located this song. I will share your site with my facebook friends. Thanks!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Man... God can you still hear me? Please vindicate me. I used to be a preacher at a church, and so many lies and wrongs were done to me that I can't even dare to show my face. I wasn't given true opportunity for God's gifting within me to shine; I was always placed in the back or left out on purpose. The lies, the rumors, ect. How can the same people that I prayed for, sacrificed for, and fasted for treat me like this? What did I do to deserve this? How long.. how long.. I know that I'm not perfect, but I'm still God's child. I've run out of tears to cry. I expect it from the streets, but not from my "family". It's sad; I've got a roledex of phone numbers, but I can't call any of them. Sorry... Thank you all for listening. Please keep me in your prayers and don't take this song down please. It's in my favorites and it helps me get through the day, and it helped me not to blame God for this mess. After all, I don't have a problem with God but rather with the people of God. To anybody else who has been spiritually molested or spiritually aborted, KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE! God is with us and He knows. This too will pass... God please let it pass. Grace and Peace

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this song (Vindicate Me). I didn't know it had just been released during the time I first came to know it - 1987. It's always been a favorite of mine but I hardly ever hear it. It seemed to have been more popular in Texas (home) than anywhere else. I'm a DC resident and former Howard Gospel Choir member. We sang He's Alright alot back in the day. It's a shame I can't purchase Vindicate Me and carry it around on my player. But I am greatful to have this page to return to and hear it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks and please never remove this song, I have been encouraged thru the years as a pastor whenever i hear this song. The pastorship is not without its enemies and God has vidicated my every trial . thanks so much

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

FairweatherFaces said...

This is a great song! I've never heard a gospel song about vindication. This song was right on time. I heard this yesterday during a great presentation by our Youth Choir at my church in Brooklyn, NY. I am blessed to know this song. God bless!

L. Peters said...

It's amazing, because when Vindicate Me came out, I was a new Christian and didn't really understand the full meaning, but as I've grown and experienced God, I realize the full meaning. God will give you victory over ever enemy.

Anonymous said...

Please keep this song up !!! Does anyone know where to get the whole cassette, album or cd from ?? I would love to have it. I have to come to this website to listen to it. Even if I could find the MP3 or ringtone LOL

David said...

I have a sealed original copy of this amazing LP for sale. If anyone is interested, you can email me at: dave2685@gmail.com

Unknown said...

who were the lead singers for this song