What I'm Listening To...

Double Take Late Edition: It Is Well

Here's a little something for the fans of the late Benny Cumming's ministry, below is Cumming's arrangement of the hymn, It Is Well, from The Benny Cummings Singers' 1979 release God's Will God's Way. Also featured is Walt Whitman and The Soul Children of Chicago ministering Cumming's arrangment from their 1991 release, Live and Blessed on I Am Records. Be Blessed.



It Is Well - 1979

(arranged by Benny Cummings)
(click on album to listen)














It Is Well - 1990
(arranged by Benny Cummings and Walt Whitman)

(click on album to listen)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post lil mama. I always wanted to know who was the original arranger since I saw Daryl Coley do the same arrangement with his choir.

Lilmama said...

I saw that clip with Daryl Coley on Youtube too...but yep, Benny Cummings arranged this arrangement. Hopefully this will make more people aware of Benny Cummings work and purchase his music.

Unknown said...

Hi LilMama,

I just discovered your site about a week ago, so I'm now going back and enjoying all the older posts. I have a slight correction to the info in this post, because I have the cassette tape on which the song "It Is Well" appears, by Walt Whitman and The Soul Children. It's actually on their recording "This Is The Day," also on I Am Records, released in 1990, instead of "Live and Blessed." Just wanted to keep your info as accurate as possible.

Thank you again for maintaining this site. It truly is a Godsend!

Anonymous said...

I sang with Daryl Coley & The New Generation Singers back in the early 80s. I was introduced to Benny Cummings music because we did a lot of Benny's songs (some which I've posted on Youtube). I'm told him and his choir would put on quite a program! It was his music that made us a well known choir here in the SF Bay Area and beyond. I'm glad to see that Benny's legacy is being kept alive.