What I'm Listening To...

Double Take Bonus: I Shall Not Be Moved

Rev. James Cleveland's Gospel Music Workshop of America (GMWA) gave many a great artists and musicians to floruish and go out on their own to spread the good news. One artist that did just that was John P. Kee. Though Kee wasn't new to the gospel scene, it was his songs that he wrote and presented to GMWA that made him well known nationwide and started many a gospel music listeners' appreciation for his ministry. Most of Kee's songs that he wrote for GMWA can be found on GMWA Mass Choir's album in the late 80's, but because of a request from another site, I thought I'd feature his song, I Shall Not Be Moved. The song was recorded on GMWA Mass Choir's 1987 album, Live At The Miami Civic Auditorium on King James Records (a subsidiary of Sound of Gospel Records). Led by John P. Kee and Tina Morrison, the two bring so much energy to the song with their vocals. Musicians also featured on this song, Daniel Cason (piano), Ricky Grundy (organ), Freddie Washington (bass guitar), John Lerner (guitar), Darryl Griffin and Tony Winston (synthesizer) with Kee directing.

Many weren't aware though (not even the biggest self-proclaimed fan of Kee...Lou??..lol) and many still may not have known until now that this song was first recorded on New Life Community Choir's first recording (at least that I'm aware of) at Mt. Zion Holiness Church in Charlotte, North Carolina. The name of the album was Brethren In Unity on Heartbeat Records, released in 1984. Led by Frenchie Wiggins, the song still has the same energy has heard in GMWA's version. Musicians featured on this song were John P. Kee (piano), Prince Kee (organ), Chris Gray (bass), Louis Kee (guitar), and Eric Hines (drums).



To listen to the songs mentioned, click on the album covers.

5 comments:

PRAYZEHYMN said...

You are the official blog of ol' skool gospel. Go 'head. You achieved a HUGE milestone with this informtation...I can't wait til u write your book. Can I co-author? LOL

Lilmama said...

Lol...whatever J. ... I'm just glad I could put this little piece of info out there. I thought I had every album that was about of Kee's discography, but I thought wrong. I knew nothing about this New Life Community Choir album until I found it. I looked all over the web for more information about it and nothing, so that's why I'm sharing this.

Keep checking back, I hope to have another one up soon. :-)

Anonymous said...

But I got Brethren in Unity from the fillup :D And yes you are officially the old skool gospel blog :D

Lilmama said...

I know you did Shane..lol

Chlotilde W. Jones said...

Hello to all! I need your help finding the bretheren in unity album on CD. The gentle man singing I shall not be moved on John's album is my dad! Pastor Frenchee M. Wiggins! My father means the world to me and I have been looking for this album on CD forever!
Does anyone know where I can get a copy for my father? ( I think I ruined his album listening to it to much as a kid!)