What I'm Listening To...

Double Take Tuesday: I Belong To God

I Belong To God was first recorded by U.N.A.C. Workshop Choir, under the direction of Dr. Mattie Moss Clark on their 1982 release, A Song Is Born 75th Diamond Celebration Volume One on GosPearl Records (the album was never released to compact disc, but if you search hard enough, you may be able to find this on vinyl still). The song begins with a funky piano intro and from there explodes into a celebratory declaration of belonging to God. The song was written by Vanessa Gatlin and included a trio featuring Judy Battles, Eunice Johnson, and Odessa Winbush, with Karen Clark ad-libing towards the end of the song.

The song was later revived in 1999 by 1st Louisiana Jurisdictional Mass Choir on their recording I Belong To God on World Class Gospel Records. The revamped song was a welcomed update to the original. I don't think Vanessa Gatlin would have had it any other way, being that she was the composer, as well as the Jurisdictional Minister of Music and choir director of the choir at the time of the recording. Lead by Jerard Woods, the song has two distinctions from the original recording, the song is much faster, and there's no verse but there is a bridge included within the song.


(To listen to the songs mentioned, click on the album covers)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Mattie Moss Clark version. I only had heard the Louisiana one. On the Mattie Moss one isn't that Karen singing over the trio in the verse too instead of just ad-libiing at the end?

Lilmama said...

You're welcome Chris...it does sound like her, so it may be.

Anonymous said...

Is this the Jerard Woods from the Bobby Jones recording?

Lilmama said...

I don't know if this is the same Jerard Woods, I haven't watched Bobby Jones in ages. I think this is the same one who has a self-titled album out.

Anonymous said...

Lilmama, thank you so much for sharing the original version of 'I Belong To God'. I remember hearing it frequently during my childhood on an old gospel mixtape of my mother's. Some time ago I tried asking her who performed this but so many years had gone by that she had forgotten. I've searched in vain for years and now finally the mystery is solved!

Will you please provide me with a tracklist of this LP? I recall an excellent version of 'What A Friend We Have In Jesus' and a ballad called 'Forgiven' on that mixtape too. I'm anxious to know if those recordings are on this LP as well but after searching for some time it looks as if it's an impossible record to find. A tracklist would help me out tremendously. Thanks!

Lilmama said...

Hi Rod, thanks for visiting. I'm glad I was able to help you some across the original recording of this. I received your email inquiring about this, I will email you with the tracklisting for both volumes. You're correct that there is a version of What A Friend on this one, I'll upload it when I can.

Anonymous said...

How can I upload this song to my pc?

Lilmama said...

Anonymous, you can't download this song. All songs provided here are for listening only.