What I'm Listening To...

Double Take: Joy, Great Joy

When Alaska Mass Choir hit the scene in 2001, I was excited, mainly because they covered COGIC International Mass Choir's Right Now God which I hadn't heard in years. When I had the chance to purchase the album was I surprised that Dorinda Clark-Cole was nearly all over this album. There were alot of songs that stood out on the album, but the laid-back groove of Joy, Great Joy stuck out immediatley as an instant favorite. Written and also lead by Dorinda Clark-Cole, the choir along with Dorinda bring forth alot of energy to a song whose lyrics express being excited about the joy that Jesus has given to us.

That same energy can be found on the original recorded by Dr. Mattie Moss Clark on the album, Go Tell It: Live From San Francisco UNAC '90. Right away you can hear the difference between the two versions, the original starts off with a faster tempo as well as laced with the organ versus the remake where the keyboards and brass dominated the track. Not only that, but there's kind of give and take for a lack of words in both the original and rendition. In the original, you'll notice there's a verse whereas in the cover there isn't, and in the original doesn't have the vamp in which the rendition has.

Between the two, I prefer the original, but that's just me. Which one do you like an why, as always let me know what's on your mind by commenting in the comment section below...be blessed.

P.S.

To listen to the songs mentioned, just click on the album cover.

4 comments:

PRAYZEHYMN said...

Wow, there is a big distinction between the two versions. No lie, I love the remake by Alaska Mass Choir. Dorinda ripped the vocals like crazy and the bass is more in the groove on the remake. And gotta love the synth usage. Did you know this song is perfect at the holiday time? The original sounds more...nostalgic though...which I do like. I thank you for posting both versions...this was a hot groove.

Lilmama said...

You're welcome J. There is a distinction between the two, one churchy, the other more modern. You gotta hand it to Dorinda for not only showing off her voice on both but her talent of not only writing the song but her arrangement of both. There's another song I really like from this album that has Karen Clark singing lead, I'll try to get that up soon.

You know, I never though about this song being a Christmas song, but I can see how it could be, thanks for the suggestion!

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Ronald can you send me these two songs . I would like to teach them to my choir for our school COGIC concert. My email is rondneal@yahoo.com

CREIDJR said...

Well I can see that I'm about 3 years late on seeing this article. I was in search of the "Go Tell It" album and found this blog.
ANYHOW.. I'm more nostalgic in that I love the raw sound of the original, but I love the groove of the newer version from the Alaska Mass Choir version. I actually can understand the lyrics without going to the CD cover. As a vote, I would use the speed of the original, but the diction of the newer. Overall, I still love the song!