What I'm Listening To...

Old School Throwback: Mattie Moss Clark

Tried Him And I Know Him
Mattie Moss Clark & The Southern California Holy Gospel Music Workshop (1986)
(click on album to listen)



Looking back on songs the late Dr. Mattie Moss Clark sang, this has to be among my top five. I've been an unbeknownst fan of songs she's written or has had presented by other up and coming songwrtiters including her daughter, affectionately known as Twinkie. Why unbeknownst, because there were songs I remember hearing, learning, and singing that I grew to love, but until a several years ago didn't know were recorded by Mattie Moss Clark.

When I heard The Clark Sisters were going to release this song on their album, I was so excited (unfortunately I didn't have the chance to go their live recording). I was so disappointed after listening to their version. I was looking foward to hear all the sisters sing and just get down on this song whose words are so simple yet conveys much conviction, but that just didn't happen. I uploaded this song about a year ago online for those to listen to it before the album came out (being that the album is out-of-print, and many new found Clark Sister fans/supporters hadn't heard it), so I thought I'd share this with everyone again.

As you'll hear, the song starts out with a duet by Twinkie and Mattie Moss Clark, with the choir coming in at the chorus. There have been other songs where the chorus was the entire song but still sounded empty and just needed more "meat" to it to make it more filling to one's soul; however Tried Him And I Know Him pulled it off IMHO and still left me wanting more (and the song is over seven minutes long...lol ). Let me know what you think, if you agree, disagree in the comment section below...be blessed.

4 comments:

Count down to 160lbs! said...

I too was disappointed at the version of this classic recently re-recorded. "Just the basics please" is what i was thinking. That's what made it a classic. How can I get a copy of this? Willing to pay whatever...

Lilmama said...

Hi Tab, thanks for stopping by. So it wasn't just me that was disappointed by their rendition, I didn't know if I was being too critical or what..lol. Don't get me wrong, I like The Clark Sisters, but that song and their last album wasn't a very good representation of their ministry, especially being their "last" album together (IMHO).

To answer your question, I don't have a copy to sell unfortunately, I haven't even transferred the entire album to cd yet. However, this album comes up for sale from time to time on Ebay, so you may want to try there, sorry. :( I'll try to upload more Mattie Moss Clark songs that can't be found on Youtube or the internet when I can, so just keep checking back often.

Al said...

Hello Lilmama,

I also must agree with your comment on this song, I was one of the musicians playing on that live recording and I can tell you the anointing was there. That being said wonder if you could do me a favor, Although I worked on that project I did not receive a copy of it, I would be very thankful if you could make me a copy of that album I've been looking for a number of years and this is the first time someone has actually had the album, Of course I'd be willing to pay you for the help, can you let me know if this is something you can do...

Lilmama said...

Hi Al, thanks for visiting. I have the album on wax but haven't transferred any of the songs to cd yet. I only did this one song in particular because someone requested a copy of the song. It's 2 lps, but email me (look in the about me section) and I'll see what I can do.