What I'm Listening To...

Double Take: He's Coming Back

Many know of John P. Kee's early work with GMWA (Gospel Music Workshop of America) and the Edwin Hawkins Music and Arts Seminar, but throughout the 80's Kee wrote numerous songs for other gospel artists well known and unknown. One song in particular is He's Coming Back. John P. Kee wrote the song as well as sung solo on it when the song appeared on the Edwin Hawkins Music and Arts Seminar Mass Choir's 1988 release, That Name on the Birthright label. However, with He's Coming Back being one of the top tracks from that album, many may have forgotten that New Jerusalem Baptist Church Choir (best known for recording Revelation 19:1 (aka Hallelujah, Salvation, and Glory) ) originally recorded the song.


Under the direction of Ronnie Martin and Jeffrey LaValley, the choir released this song, then titled, Getting My House In Order on their album, Show Me The Way in 1987 on the Sound of Gospel label. While New Jerusalem's version is a little faster than the one on the Music and Arts Seminar album, it's just as good as the later version. Led by Duane Bailey, the choir gives a strong delivery of the song, leaving me wanting to hear more. Listen to both versions for yourself and provide your thoughts in the comment section below.



***Click on album cover to listen to songs mentioned***

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was also on John P. Kee's cd There Is Hope. The name of the track was Getting My House In Order.

Lilmama said...

Hi anonymous, you're right the song is on that album, but only a portion of it, the rest is an instrumental.

Sorry everyone for the wrong Edwin Hawkins cover, I didn't even realize I put the wrong one up there (I uploaded the right cover :-) )

Anonymous said...

I had fallen in love with that Revelation 19:1 song. It is so glorious in every aspect.

Lilmama said...

I think the composer of the song will be happy to know that...he sometimes visits the blog. :-)

Unknown said...

Hi LilMama,

Can you post the title cut from the New Jerusalem Church Choir album, "Show Me the Way"? I would love to hear that song. Thanks!

--Rodney Hobbs

RedeemedMusician said...

Revelation 19:1 was also recorded by Stephen Hurd's My Destiny CD. It's the be remake of this song I've heard since New Jerusalem Recorded it.