What I'm Listening To...

Digging Through The Crates: Georgia Mass Choir

Technically, I'm not digging through my crates on this one, being that I broke the needle on my record player, so I haven't been able to play any records for nearly two weeks. Even though I can't play my records, I've been playing those that I transferred to cd awhile back. One album that I've been spinning lately is Georgia Mass Choir's I'm Free released in 1986 on Savoy Records. With musicians and soloists such as James Bignon, Kenneth Paden, and to name a few, I knew I was set to hear a great album through and through. However it's one song that I can't stop putting on repeat, It's Yours For The Asking. Written by Jeff DavisR. Willis and Milton Biggham, this song with it's bass driven, drum laced beats, it's a song that will get you moving. The song is led by Lillie Scott Holloway, the choir rocks the song out from beginning to end. I hope the song is a blessing to you all.


**To listen to the song mentioned, click on the album cover**

3 comments:

PRAYZEHYMN said...

Wow, that's one hot groove. And it sounds good...twenty six years later. Unbelievable. Sorry to hear about your needle. Hope u can get a new one.

Anonymous said...

Listening to various choirs from the incendiary 80's era--especially Savoy Records giants as the Georgia Mass Choir, my emotions smack to both sides of an emotional spectrum. I am elated to hear the unleashed power of these songs when they are played...like bursting time capsules of soaring choruses and drive shaft-performing bands. The music at that time was more God-focused and church-infused. Today, not much of Gospel has that same relentless drive and leans more towards a commercial sound instead. A few artists today are still putting Jesus Christ at the forefront, but many of them are overshadowed by more "mainstream" Gospel offerings where some of the songs by artists sound more like Campbell's Soup commercials. Thank you for sharing the old...and new...music with us!

Unknown said...

You know, there should be a website that features hard to find or out of date gospel music such as this one. For people like myself who once had these albums but lost them due to unfortunate circumstances. I really appreciate you posting this song. Now all I have to do is continue searching for to put on my ipod.