What I'm Listening To...

Double Take Tuesday: He's Wonderful

In lieu of Damita Haddon's upcoming release next month, I thought today's double take will feature a song of hers. Some may remember that Damita Bass (before she married Deitrick Haddon) started out in a gospel girl group called Adoration 'N Praise, their only release (at least that I'm aware of) was Time Is Running Out released in 1991 on TM (Truth Ministries) Records. On that album, there was a good mix of traditional and contemporary gospel songs uplifting Jesus, but for the most part, it emphasized the ladies vocal strengths. Most of the songs were ministered with little to no music at all, and the girls' sounded amazing. There was one song in particular that caught my attention, He's Wonderful, only because I had heard it before and wasn't aware they originally recorded it (let me mention, my first listen of this album was a few years ago). You could tell the young ladies voices were still maturing, but they sung with such much power and their harmonies were great, that it didn't really matter.

When I first heard this song, it was on Donald Lawrence & The Tri-City Singers' 1995 release, Bible Stories, and was titled Great Things. Off topic, if you're looking for a album that has great covers of previously recorded gospel songs, Bible Stories is a great one, all their renditions were just a good as the originals. Which songs were renditions you may ask, there were four other songs previously recorded by other gospel singers: Come Lay Your Head On Me (Andrae Crouch), Didn't It Rain (Clara Ward & The Ward Singers), Cast Your Cares (The Clark Sisters), and Bethlehem Morning (Morris Chapman), well five if you include If I Can't Say A Word penned by Lawrence but originally recorded by GMWA Mass Choir. Back to the song, the song still has the same mellow sound, the only difference is the vamp Donald Lawrence added, where it starts out with, "hallelujah for the great things You have done..." It is the inclusion of the vamp that made me like Lawrence's rearrangement a little better than the original by Adoration 'N Praise, but still a good song with a timeless message.

(To listen to the songs mentioned, click on the album covers)


P.S.

Sorry for the break away from the blog, but I will try to post on a regular basis. So check back often and tell a friend about the blog as well. I'll try to get some of your requests up by the end of this week, and thanks to all who have written, it was nice to talk with you all, keep the emails coming. I pray everyone has a great day, and I'll be back with the Old School Friday post on of course Friday, be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

woooow I had no idea. I only heard about Adoration N Prayze a couple weeks ago and to find out this song was first done by them is amazing. Great info!

Lilmama said...

Thanks Shane... and yes, it surely was, but I had no idea either until a year or two ago myself.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I randomly found this blog while doing an internet search for some other information. I wore this CASETTE *LOL* out in the early 90's. About two years ago, I came across it in a discount bin for $2 when the Tower records here was closing.

Love the blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I remember Adoration N Prayz back in the early 90s. My Uncle James was a DJ at a radio station in SC and he would get radio demos first & I recall this group. "Lord I know Your love is true from all the trials You brought me through..."

Mike House said...

Thanks so much for this posts. I love this song.